HALLOWEEN COSTUME TIPS FOR YOUR DOG
Halloween is a very exciting time for adults and kids alike and it can be just as exciting for your furry companion as well. Dressing up your dog in a Halloween costume is a great way of strengthening your bond and making some precious memories to look back on. Not only can it be fun for you, but your dog may also get a chance to feel loved and appreciated by all – and maybe even win a costume contest!
So, this Halloween, why not involve dogs in the Halloween festivities with a costume? Since Halloween is just around the corner, we have compiled a list of handy tips that can help you decide the perfect costume for your dog.
Picking a costume
Picking a costume for your dog is half the fun. Not only do you get to see your adorable dog become even cuter than before, but you also get the chance to amp up your own costume. With a matching costume choice, you and your dog can truly look like you belong together. Another fun way to approach costumes is to related ones that fit perfectly together. Here are some out of the box costume ideas to wear with your dog:
- Ash and Pikachu from Pokémon
- Little Red Riding Hood and The Wolf
- Alice and the Rabbit from Alice in Wonderland
- Han Solo and Chewbacca from Star Wars
- Batman and Robin
- And many more
Safety Comes First
Dogs do not naturally wear costumes so there are a few things that you should be aware of as a dog owner. Here are some safety measures that will ensure
- The costume should not be so tight that it restricts the breathing and movement of your dog.
- The costume should not contain small parts such as buttons that can be swallowed by the dog to remove any choking hazard.
- Ensure that your dog has a free range of motion in the costume. The costume should not restrict their movement as it can result in them tripping, falling or hurting themselves.
- A costume which restricts their breathing should be avoided at all costs.
- Never lose sight of your dog while they are in their costume to ensure that they are safe at all times.
How to Make your Dog Comfortable in the Costume
If your dog is at unease wearing the costume then you may need to take action to calm them. As mentioned above, a tight costume will make them uncomfortable so find something that has extra room. Here are some other ways to ensure that your dog is comfortable in the costume:
- If your dog is being temperamental, you may try to get them on your side with some yummy dog treats.
- Ensure that the costume is lightweight so that the dog can move around and feel right at home in it.
- Don’t let the costume limit your dog’s senses. Dogs will be more comfortable if they can see and hear what’s happening around them.
- Always look for your dog’s body language to gauge if they even like wearing costumes. Many dogs love wearing them but some cannot stand it. If the dog is still not comfortable then it is best to remove the costume. Never make your dog wear something against their will.
Dogs can have just as much as humans on Halloween. Make them a part of your spooky festivities with fun costumes that you both can enjoy. Just experiment with your favourite characters, ensure your dog is comfortable in their Halloween costume and let your imagination run wild!