Tips to Improve Your Dog’s Mental Health
Dogs are friendly and fun-loving creatures. All they ask for is love and attention and they will repay you in bucket loads. But there are some events and lifestyles such as trauma or mistreatments that can really imbalance a dog’s capacity to function optimally, just like in humans. The faster you act to improve your dog’s mental health, the better because it is much easier to rectify issues before they become challenging, leading to bigger problems.
Spot Signs of Mental Health Issues with Dogs
The good news is that if your dog does have a problem with their mental health, it will be relatively easy for you to identify in their behaviour. Here are a few signs that will help you identify the behaviour of a dog with mental health problems.
- Your dog may start to tremble with anxiety.
- Hiding in public, not feeling confident.
- Attempts to escape.
- Lack of interest in food, toys or any other activities.
- Loss of appetite.
- They may feel tired and lethargic all the time.
- The dog may bark excessively.
- They may sleep quite a lot.
- Dog often interact less when depressed, likely stay quiet.
- Excessive shedding is also a symptom.
- Drastic and sudden behavioural changes are also a sign.
- Excessive tail chasing is also a symptom.
Tactics to Improve Your Dog’s Mental Health Issues
Treating your dog’s mental health issues require patience, close attention, and a bit of trial and error. Now that you know the signs and symptoms of dogs with mental health problems, you can resolve them following these simple tactics.
- Take out time for your dog’s mental stimulation and exercises that can help them prevent these behaviours.
- Make sure that you give them at least 15-20 minutes each day and interact with them through different activities that they enjoy. Focused attention and love on a regular basis does work wonders.
- Ensure to feed them healthy food. Dog food does not only play a mandatory role for hunger and physical health but it is necessary for mental health too. Food helps our and dogs’ brains function providing energy to it. Our Hypro Premium dog kibble is specifically formulated to include nutrient-rich ingredients without any inclusion of grains or gluten. Containing many superfoods, our dog food is made with real meats and is designed to enhance your dog’s health.
- Involve them in activities or play games they love. It will keep their spirits high. If they like to chase things, start playing fetching games daily.
- Massages can help ease a nervous dog as it calms them down.
- Try to create a peaceful environment in your household and give them space when needed.
Just like in humans, mental health problems can have a significant impact on a dog’s life. The best way to manage this is to be close with your dog and their behaviour will point you to a problem if one does exist.